A Greener Indiana

Everybody can do something to make a greener Indiana

I was moved to create this site because I wanted to make a difference and I really didn't know how. I had thought of it a long time and then I found that we were going to de-list 800 Indiana stream segments from the Impaired list.

They are doing this because they are no longer going to use fish contamination as a gauge of water quality. Instead they are just going to delist them because they don't know.

To me this is a huge step backwards.

Here is the complete press release I got.

Indiana Seeks to De-List Contaminated Waters
Alliance for the Great Lakes, January 27 2008

Indiana proposes to relax its criteria for assessing mercury levels in fish.

Indiana seeks to remove hundreds of mercury and PCB-tainted waterways from a statewide list of impaired waters -- including several Lake Michigan tributaries – in a move to free the state of a federal mandate to restore them.

Using new methodology, Indiana's Department of Environmental Management proposes to delete more than 800 stream and river segments from the list, even as state regulators warn the public that contamination makes fish from those waters unsafe to eat.

The proposed methodology would no longer determine a waterway's impairment based on the existence of fish consumption advisories, a measure the U.S. EPA has determined meets the intent of the federal Clean Water Act.

"The agency's decision to exclude water bodies that are impaired as a result of pollution from mercury or PCBs violates the Clean Water Act," said Lyman Welch, Alliance water quality manager.

The change leaves Indiana with no data on mercury and PCB contamination levels for many of the waters in question. As those waters would no longer be defined as impaired, the state wouldn't be required to develop plans to restore them.

The agency also proposes a less stringent criteria for assessing mercury concentrations in fish than is used by its sister agency, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

IDEM says the difference results from the fact that INDR considers at-risk populations – which include women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or plan to have children, and children ages 15 or younger -- in its assumptions about fish consumption rates and body weight.

"It is not clear why human health under the revised methodology should be protected at a lower level," the Alliance states in comments prepared for state regulators. "IDEM should explain why its new water quality standard for mercury in fish tissue should not protect these groups of people."

The Clean Water Act requires all states to update their impaired water lists every two years, and to develop "Total Maximum Daily Load" plans (TMDLs) for improving water quality in waters that fall short of the standards.

The Alliance is inviting groups throughout the state to sign onto its comment letter to the IDEM. The comments urge that:

--Indiana develop TMDLs or specify alternative measures to restore waters impaired by mercury or PCBs.
--Impaired waters not be de-listed simply because IDEM lacks data using new methods for evaluating contamination.
--Indiana's new method for evaluating water impairment from fish tissue data not be less protective for mercury and PCB pollution.

Indiana must receive all public comments on its impaired water list by Jan. 31. More information on Indiana's proposal can be found on IDEM's website at: Click here for proposal

Does anybody know about this? What is going to happen next?

Tags: indiana, mercury, pcb, quality, rivers, water

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess this is what is happening Eric.

IN tops nation in water pollution

Updated: Saturday, 07 Apr 2012, 1:57 PM EDT Published : Saturday, 07 Apr 2012, 1:57 PM EDT

ROCKPORT, Ind. (AP) -- Indiana topped the nation last year in the amount of toxic chemicals its factories discharged into waterways, according to a report from an environmental group that found Hoosier industries dumped more than 27 million pounds of pollutants into the state's rivers and streams. The report by  Environment America , which published the report as a follow up to a similar study in 2009, also found that AK Steel at Rockport, Ind., was one of two Midwestern plants that had the highest amount of discharges into the Ohio River in 2010

Indiana's total statewide discharges into waterways totaled 27 million pounds -- the nation's highest -- followed by Virginia, Nebraska, Texas and Louisiana. Some of the chemicals released in Indiana were associated with cancer, reproductive problems and developmental problems.  But, but....Ak Steel says 'we are not to blame, fertilizers are.'

Just lovely......

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/indiana/in-tops-nation-in-water-pollution

RSS

Feed from Indiana Living Green Magazine

All sewn up

Hi Renee,

Do you know a place that re-uses fabric from sewing projects?  Some may be several yards, usable for making an outfit, others are scraps from projects.  This would be most helpful for my closet cleaning!

Thanks.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Stashed in your closet is an “unseamly” place for [...]

Recycle this!

Dear Renee - 

What is the best way to get involved and have an impact on what the city of Indianapolis decides regarding recycling?

I find it ironic to see all of the new billboards around town noting the problem when the solutions haven’t seemed to follow.

Thanks!

You may [...]

Have a seat

I have several expired car seats that can no longer be used. These things are huge and I feel bad dumping them in the garbage, but I can’t find any information about recycling them. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kristin

Kristin,

Car seat fun fact: There are approximately 12 million car seats [...]

Reface Don't Replace

Refacing is greener than replacing - ecocountertopsusa.com

Reface! Don't Replace!
CLICK FOR MORE INFO

© 2014   Created by Eric Stallsmith.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service