A Greener Indiana

Everybody can do something to make a greener Indiana

Has anyone on this forum have tried to build a GREEN home ?
I have been hearing more and more builders/contractors are talking them out of using ICF`s in homes. ICF= Insulated Concrete Forms.
They are telling people that the cost is too high. Using ICF`s should never be much over 3% in costs, and they are not figuring in the reduced labor cost. Also, the HVAC will cost less due to need of a smaller unit.

The biggest factor is the energy savings of 50%-80% per year.
My humble advice treat your home ideas like a car, check with someone that has one, go SEE one for yourself, ask about energy costs just like asking the MPG on a car.

Tags: ICF`s

Views: 705

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have completed several certifed LEED projects in this state. I am also in on the USGBC committe for LEED fpor homes. There are several options for building green and reducing the energy bills without having to increase the cost past 3%. Please let me know if you would like to dsicuss further. Our website is www.castaliahomes.com
What about LED lighting I reduced my energy usage by 400 kWh a month.

www.terpllc.com has a big selection of them
I just recently wrote an article to be released in March about a builder in Nappanee who took the last year to engineer a net zero home (home that produces all of its own energy) that is affordable to the average American. He addressed each type of heat transference in his design—convection, conduction and radiant. The house features a steel roof, solar panels, locally purchased recycled insulation, reflective foils and they constructed larger wall cavities and employed duct work designed to be in conditioned space (verses unheated attic space). The home is also built on a slab which plays a big part in the energy conservation. It's approximately 1,300 sq. ft home and they anticipate it selling between $80 and $100 a square foot. In addition to all of this, The home, if taken apart, is 95% recyclable.

RSS

Feed from Indiana Living Green Magazine

The Apartment

When I owned my home I recycled everything. Now I live in an apartment which means the only drop off points are some distance away and I have no place to keep things long enough to make a trip worth while. Any suggestions?

Jim

Jim,

These days I’d be surprised [...]

April showers

I know several people who forgot to bring their rain barrels in for the winter and have subsequently ended up with cracked and useless rain barrels.  Where can they be recycled?

Thanks!

Claire

Claire,

You’d think when it comes to a resourceful alternative to plumbing, a little crack couldn’t hurt. [...]

Earth Hour Power!

Earth Hour is a global event that takes place annually from 8:30pm – 9:30pm on the last Sunday of March.  The event calls for non-essential lighting to be turned off for one hour to raise awareness regarding global energy consumption.  This year has even more significance than previous years because some of [...]

Reface Don't Replace

Refacing is greener than replacing - ecocountertopsusa.com

Reface! Don't Replace!
CLICK FOR MORE INFO

© 2014   Created by Eric Stallsmith.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service