A Greener Indiana

Everybody can do something to make a greener Indiana

I have been really interested in hearing what people are doing in the city to be sustainable. I have a compost bin on the back of lot in the city use my flower gardens to grow veggies and herbs. A friend and I are talking about buying empty sity lots and making urban gardens and or re- wooding them. Next spring I am going to put a rain barrel collection system for my gardens. I would love to hear what others are doing to live green in the city.

Tags: Permaculture, Urban, gardening

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sarah, did you read my profile? It is all about reurbanization,sustainability,permaculture,raingardens,SPIN farming,all on a small city lot,as well as a wildlife habitat. Please visit, it is open as an educational tool. Are you talking about the some 300 empty lots the city does not know what to do about? I am working on that in getting them planted as sustainable community gardens.We can work together to get this done. Rally Ho! Peace. EL P.S. you are doing great!
YEAH! This is exciting. Don't you love collective consciousness? I have a couple more friends that are interested in doing this...we should get together and make it happen!
Sarah
OK, For a start, masters gardeners gave up on this project not too long ago, said there was too much vandalism. Be proactive. Capital City Gardens has an amazing array of tips and links. Also plant a row for the hungry(PAR) has invaluable info. There is also a rain garden registry in Mich. that you might want to check out, they even submitted mail addresses to contact, if you have questions about connecting rain barrels to gardens.

RSS

Feed from Indiana Living Green Magazine

Who wants a lid, man?

Renee,

Please update me about lids. I know that water bottles can be recycled
with lids on. What about other plastics that have a lid of a
different color? Is there anything I should know about jars that
have a metal lid? I [...]

Lose the drugs

A speaker at a recent event mentioned that you might know where we could dispose of prescription drugs. I have some expired medical patches and I just want to dispose of them properly. Any suggestions for me? I live in Carmel, Indiana, so any disposal sites in northern Indianapolis or in [...]

Plastic fantastic

Renee,

The Good Earth used to have a recycling bin that accepted plastics 1-7.  They no longer do.  Where else can I take plastics other than 1 or 2?

Mike

Mike,

There are a lot of good reasons to visit Good Earth in Broad Ripple and recycling is still one [...]

Reface Don't Replace

Refacing is greener than replacing - ecocountertopsusa.com

Reface! Don't Replace!
CLICK FOR MORE INFO

© 2014   Created by Eric Stallsmith.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service