My agenda for addressing the environmental issues in Indiana are:
1. Legislate Net-Metering requirements allowing home owners and businesses who use environmentally friendly technologies to receive credit for at least a portion of the electricity they generate in their structures.
2. Reduce urban sprawl
3. Amend the Indiana Environmental Policy Act to provide greater protection to citizens, including enhanced public participation and notice requirments.
4. Enact a State Environmental Justice statute.
5. Incorporate the "precautionary principle" into our environmental statutes.
6. Encourage green job creation throughout the state.
7. Make IDEM more responsive to the needs of citizens instead of working for the governor.
8. Encourage locally grown food markets.
I have been the Environmental Justice Chairman for the Gary NAACP, member of the Environmental Justice Partnership; I currently represent the Calumet Project in its appeal of the BP Amoco permit.